Dedicated Servers: A Comprehensive Overview
Server rental is a service that involves the use of a physical server, its functionality, and capacities under certain conditions. The client gets access to a full-fledged separate physical server located on the technical site in the center of storage and data processing of the supplier. All resources of a dedicated server belong to one owner and are completely independent of the operation of other websites.
The tenant has a full package of rights to manage and control all processes on the server, and can also make changes to its settings depending on the current tasks of the web resource. The client has the opportunity to independently choose the operating system, control panel, software, install updates, and other functions. In this format of cooperation, the provider acts as technical support: it provides equipment, infrastructure maintenance, monitors the uninterrupted connection to the Internet channel, data backup, which is generally responsible for server performance and speed.
Dedicated servers: for which projects are they intended?
Dedicated server – an excellent solution for companies whose web resources require high performance, customization of functions. Another important indicator is the traffic to the site. If you are launching a large Internet site with the prospect of scaling and increasing traffic, this type of hosting is your option. A dedicated server is suitable for sites with traffic from 20,000 or more unique users per day.
Server rental is suitable for e-commerce web sites with large amounts of data (online stores, portals, numerous forums), portals with heavy content (video, audio files, graphics), applications, platforms with online games and any other large-scale projects, for which fast loading, processing speed, and increased security are required.
A dedicated server is also in demand among both large and medium-sized organizations that are interested in maintaining data confidentiality. This solution is used to ensure the functioning and storage of large databases of CRM systems, 1C, accounting software for retail and wholesale trade, and other narrow-profile applications. Also, due to its resistance to high loads, this type of hosting can be used to create a remote repository of corporate files, including data backup.
Leased Dedicated Servers: Benefits
Dedicated servers have a number of functional advantages that qualitatively distinguish them from other types of hosting:
- direct access to the server: the client has full control over computing resources, has administrator rights with the ability to monitor all processes, user actions. The use is exclusively autonomous and does not depend on other clients, unlike shared hosting.
- setting up an individual server configuration: dedicated hosting provides absolute freedom in choosing an operating system, control panel, and hosting applications that meet the requirements of a particular project. Flexible settings allow you to adjust the service depending on current tasks, scaling the web resource.
- no restrictions: on the server you can host an unlimited number of sites, domains, databases. The client independently regulates the number of resources necessary for the use and can increase it at any time.
- the maximum level of productivity: due to the configuration of the necessary software for the project, the overall speed of work, the server’s resistance to loads increases significantly. Sole ownership of a computing resource eliminates the risk of a decrease in website bandwidth due to incorrect operation on other servers. As a result, the loading of the site improves, which is accompanied by a reduction in the number of failures and an increase in traffic indicators.
- 24/7 technical support: the hosting provider provides round-the-clock server support, equipment maintenance, and problem solving in a short time. The company also provides advice on all emerging issues, if necessary, can take on the implementation of administrative duties.
- increased security: leased servers exclude the possibility of malicious programs from other clients. The system has an advanced IP firewall, which guarantees protection against hacker attacks, hacking, spam, and also ensures the confidentiality of posted data.
- Among the disadvantages of renting a dedicated server, many consumers note a higher price compared to shared hosting. It is unambiguous to say that this significantly limits the potential of potential tenants is not entirely correct. The cost of renting a server is fully justified by the technical and operational characteristics and capabilities that the client receives.
Why is it profitable to rent a server?
A dedicated server, in addition to its functional advantages, has significant economic feasibility. Despite the high cost of the service, the client receives absolutely all the benefits that are provided when buying a server. Leasing allows you to use the same resources but without capital investments inexpensive equipment, technical support of a data center, hiring highly qualified engineers and managers, the cost of replacing or upgrading components of a physical server. Providers that provide a server for rent set a fixed monthly fee, so the client can evenly plan the budget and maintenance costs.
Also, before concluding a cooperation agreement, most hosting companies offer a free trial period for working with the server. This is a great opportunity to evaluate in practice the performance, functionality, configuration of a server. If the selected equipment does not fit, the data can be transferred to the new operating system. Thus, with server rental, the client minimizes financial risks, optimizes business processes, and can fully concentrate on fulfilling his key tasks.
Server rental: how to choose the right provider?
First of all, you should focus on specific business tasks, prospects for scaling the site, the predicted traffic growth. One of the basic criteria for choosing a dedicated server is the operating system. There are two main OSs – Windows and Linux, which practically do not yield to each other in terms of security, flexibility of settings, and market reputation. We recommend that you proceed from the technology that will be applied on the site. For example, if the web resource is built on PHP or PERL, it is better to prefer the Linux operating system.
A key parameter is also the size of the processor and RAM, which affects server performance. For dynamic sites with multimedia content, video rendering services, processing and saving a large amount of data with consistently high traffic, powerful multi-core processors are required.
We also recommend that you pay attention to the following criteria:
Network connection speed: these indicators directly depend on the port size and range from 100 Mbit / s to 10 Gbit / s. The higher the value, the higher the data rate.
- Throughput. Typically, most sites use less than 5 GB for monthly data transfers. With a sharp increase in traffic, you should be sure that the provider is able to provide an additional bandwidth. Thus, you provide unlimited user access to the web resource even in conditions of peak traffic. To estimate the throughput, you can use the following calculation: the monthly number of page views of the site must be multiplied by the average page size.
- Disk space. Check with your provider for the status of the hard drives. Previously used discs have the risk of damage or data loss due to technical wear. The best option is the latest generation of hard drives – SSD.
- Availability of remote access via KVM: Most providers provide the ability to remotely access server management at the hardware level. This option allows you to install OS updates, configure the BIOS, add and edit administrator rights and other functionality. Thus, you can minimize the need for technical support from the provider.
- Data backup. When choosing a provider, check if the company provides the creation of file backups on another server. Thus, you increase confidence in the safety of information in case of loss.
- Technical support. Since the physical server is working remotely, you must be sure that the hosting provider provides 24/7 service. The quality of the services provided, the staff of specialists, directly determines the speed of response to problems that arise, which minimizes the risks of site downtime.